Thursday, June 7, 2012

New Arrivals!!!!!!!

Summer season is finally here, but it also brings along finals season...the time where every high schooler dreads. At least I dread it.  I'm balancing three honors class with an AP class, it's a miracle that I'm still alive.  Anyways, while taking a break from studying Chemistry....I'm going to post a couple of new orchids that I obtained recently.

Dendrobium Hybrid













This is a NOID dendrobium-phalaenopsis hybrid.  They cross bred the common moth orchid/phalaenopsis orchid with a dendrobium orchid.  I got this little plant for $7.99 at the San Francisco Flower Mart.  I wish I took pictures of the flower mart to show, but I was too mesmerized by the orchids, potted plants, and cut flowers that were selling at unbelievably reasonable prices.  It was the flower version of Costco!!! Hopefully, I'll be making another pilgrimage to the flower mart soon to take pictures... and snag a few orchids.

-------------------------------------------------
On the left is a Milt. Maui Mist 'Golden Gate' that I won in a auction on ebay.  This is from a reputable provider called Kawamoto Orchids located in Hawaii which has amazing cattleya orchids.  The orchid had two spikes when I bought it with a great root system that was overflowing from the top.  Unfortunately, on the leaves, I noticed spider mite damage, but I didn't see any spider mites on it.  I'll be watching it closely. 
 Miltoniopsis Maui Mist 'Golden Gate'
This orchid was $11.99 + $12.00 shipping.  I thought it was worth it because I love the water fall pattern and the simplicity of the flower.  The Miltoniopsis orchids that sell here in the Bay Area are either too white or does not contain enough of the waterfall pattern that I love.  Miltoniopsis hybrids are fairly easy to grow, though I accidentally killed a cheap miltoniopsis hybrid that I bought from Trader Joe's by overpotting.  I learned from my mistakes and I'm trying again.
----------------------------------------------------
All of my orchids are in quarantine in case they have any bugs or anything undesirable located in or on the plant.  I usually keep them on the first floor of my house or in my room, but usually downstairs because I won't be distracted while studying by my orchids....orchids in room = get nothing done.  From experience, I've noticed that plants begin to show their dislike in two weeks.  The first two weeks are the most stressful for the plant and the owner.  After the two weeks, usually, the orchids have adapted to their new environment and should begin to thrive.

1 comment: