Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Attempt at Water Culture

My mom got a lovely, miniature, white moth orchid from a colleague.  My mom wanted to grow the orchid in her office, so she watered the orchids once a week like I do with my orchids. The problem was that the orchid was growing in the tightly packed, highly absorbent moss not in the water resistant bark in which I grow my orchids in.  To much water means root rot.  Thankfully, it was a small case of root rot where I could just cut off the rotted root and still have a lot green firm roots left.

One night, while I was doing research on hydroponics, I ran across a type of growing orchids called water culture.  Essentially, the idea is that the water provides the water needed to grow the orchids, but the water prevents air from touching the roots that lets harmful fungus thrive that rots the roots.  So, when my mom brought home this ailing orchid, I thought why not try the method.  I found a glass jar, cleaned out the moss from the root ball, and dipped the orchid in lukewarm water to grow in a bright east window.

Two weeks later......

 An orchid branch!!!! White orchid flowers will be growing from this little branch by December or as early as October.






Below:  A live and growing orchid tip that has emerged from a dormant root!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting...do you keep your orchid in that much water all the time, or do a dry out period? I do water culture, 2 days with roots in water, then 5 days dry.i Are you saying the air causes root rot and fungus, never heard that before, but I would like to keep them in deeper water all the time...how is yours doing? I read someone else put their bare roots in a vase full of water and set it in a window.....blooms in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete