Tuesday, December 25, 2012

December Bloomers 2012!


It's been a while since I've updating anything, sorry.  It's currently winter break and I can finally squeeze in a little time in between studying for finals, the SATs, and AP Physics, AND AP STATS!  Gah...it's a miracle that I haven't died from exhaustion.  Anyways, with December comes...orchid bloomers!

Oh FYI, these pictures are taken with a Nikon D90 with a Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 40mm lens.

 This is a NOID cymbidium that has been growing all summer long, and has finally given me two spikes with 6 buds each with two or three more spikes on the way. I still can't tell the difference between a new growth or a new spike on a cymbidum...they just look too similar....
Mom has been trying to tell me that the blooms this year are not as pretty as last year...which sinks my heart a little.  Sigh...they're pretty to me.

*I need to figure out how to put emoticons on blogger.....

My potinara hoku gem "freckles" is bloom for first time since I bought in July.  The colors just keep changing...When I first bought it was lava red.  Now it's turning orange, red, yellow, and magenta....So weird.

My oncidium twinkle "fragrance fantasy".  It has four spikes with tens of flowers.  It's rumored to be extremely fragrant, but I haven't gotten the chance to smell it because either the rain of the Bay Area's winter blocks out the sun or I leave too early in the morning for school for the sun to intensify the scent.  Hopefully the clouds will clear up soon so I can smell it.



 My epicattleya rene marques "flamethrower" is in bloom for the third time this year.  The thing is that the spikes takes FOREVER to grow.  The new growth from the plant began to grow at the end of spring this year, and I saw the spike emerging around September, and It only started to form buds at the end of November.  This plant can really test your patience...but it's all worth it once you see the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment