Monday, July 22, 2013

Southern Cali Trip Final

What you're greeted with when you enter
 On our way back to the Bay Area, we stopped by Cal-Orchid Nursery.
I had deep feeling of regret of not going there when we visited Santa Barbara Orchid Estate on our first day. Cal Orchid was right next Santa Barbara Orchid Estate.  I'm not kidding!  When you drive into this little road called "Orchid" (such an original name...) on the left side are the gates to the Santa Barabara Orchid Estate, and down the road on the right side are the gates to the Cal-Orchid Nursery.

Still, I needed to clear my head from the shopping spree from Day 1.  I think the the 24 hours lapse between the first nursery and the second day was a good time frame to clear my head.  Orchids tend to fog your mind...and all rationality that one has.  So here, I got a healthy Lycaste Aromatica which I learned was from Golden Gate Orchids owned by Tom Perlite.  HE'S RETIRING!!! I'm so sad, right now. Both my mom and I exclaimed "What????" when we heard the news from the extremely nice owner.

But yeah...the greenhouse was clean and well organized.  Something that is very hard to find in most orchid nurseries I've been to.  There was a barbeque going on with guacamole and chips.  It had a very homey feeling to the entire open house.  I think...this is on my favorite nursery list. 

Again...sorry for the lack of names. At least in this round of orchid pics, I can recognize a lot more orchids and my dad accidentally took a picture of the names along with the orchids. 

Neofinetia Falcata Hybrid

Agraceum (I really regret not getting this orchid, so much history dating back to Darwin's Origin of Species)

Lycaste

Encyclia




Vanda

No comments:

Post a Comment