Monday, July 22, 2013

Southern Cali Trip Day 1

Thank you for patiently waiting for my posts!
I've been extremely busy, and it took me a while to get the nerve to write something.
Anyways, a week ago my parents and I went down to L.A. to see my long lost cousins from Texas. They are such cuties, one is named Amber and the other is named Andy. Luckily, it was also the same weekend as the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate Summer Open House and the Cal-Orchid open house.  So, orchids galore!!!

So I shall recount the adventure from the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate sale, the first place we stopped.
There I was able to get three orchids:
Encyclia Cochleata
 The three orchids that I got were an Encyclia cochleata, a small sarcochilus ceciliae, and  Barkeria Lindleyana.
My mom gave these orchids for me as a "good job" presents on getting straight A's during second semester and getting a 5s and 4s on my AP tests.

Large specimen size sarcophilus ceciliae
The potting for these orchids are a bit weird because the nursery uses rocks as a potting medium instead of the traditional bark or sphagnum moss.  Still, the orchids are high quality and at a reasonable price especially
 since they have unusual species starting from $17.













Now for some lovely pics of the flowers being sold there....I'm sorry that most of the orchids don't have names, since my dad took the pictures.  He thinks more about the beauty of the flowers instead of the names of flowers.  But if you really have fallen in love with one of the orchids here, you can find most of the orchids on the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate website( here: Santa Barbara Orchid Estate Home Page). I'm just a bit lazy to sift through all the orchid pictures to find the names... ^_^


Vanda Paki









No comments:

Post a Comment