Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Maxillaria Tenuifolia

Finally it has bloomed! The infamous, the easy- to- grow, the finicky bloomer....maxillaria tenfuifolia.
I've had this plant for almost a year now, and it has finally decided to bloom.
It smells heavenly of coconut/ cream/ chocolate ---> it just smells so sweet.
The color is burgundy and the flowers 4 1/2 cm across. I've got three of these sweeties in bloom, and I've got plenty more emerging from the sheathes of the pseudobulbs. 

My cultural tips:
Watering: Keep the medium well watered and don't let the pseudobulbs get shriveled.  I was having a problem with shriveled bulbs with my once a week watering in a fine bark mix, so I changed it to hydroponics.
Light: Bright light.  The leaves should be a grassy green to light green.  A east window is ideal.  It could also be grown with cattleyas.  It is also okay if the leaves get burned a little bit.
Feeding: Honestly, I haven't fed my orchids for about a year now.  All of them are blooming healthily and happily.  But rule of thumb: weekly, weakly.
Flowering: Warmth + high light = good blooms.  I've learned that the hard way.  You could also throw in a temperature difference into the equation, but I didn't find that as important as warmth and high light.
Temp:  They like warm temperatures to bloom.  I've grown them in temperatures ranging from 50's to 60's, they grow new pseudobulbs and such... just no flowers.

* hope this helps to whoever is having trouble getting this species to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment