Thursday, March 28, 2013

SPRING BREAK 2013!!!

HALLELUJAH!!! Tis spring break!
Still AP testing season and the May SAT are approaching quickly.  To add onto the pile of workload, my AP teachers are deciding to give me cumulative tests right after break.  Oh joy...
On the bright side, I've got some bloomers in my collection.

Pleione Formosana
My first Pleione.  I got this little orchid from the POE from "Hanging Gardens".  It's a Pleione formosana and I think this has become my new favorite orchid.  It came with three plump green bulbs that had little shoots already popping from the sides.  I was forewarned not to water it too much while it is establishing it's new roots in case of root rot.  Now, it's has long white roots, new growth coming from the sides, and two flowers in bloom.
Pleione Formosana

Next on the list is my tolumnia pretty n pink.
This little guy is such a faithful bloomer.  I bought this orchid two years ago during spring break.  It bloomed again last year during spring break.  And now, in the year of 2013, it has bloomed during spring break.  I wish the rest of my orchids worked like this little guy.  I lost a lot of the blooms to bud blast.  I don't know if it is from too much sun or from the changing weather.





Tolumnia Culture Tips:
Water: I have it in a small one inch diameter clay pot.  I keep forgetting to water it throughout the week.  So I give it a good one hour soak each week.  It seems to like that a lot.
Fertilizer:  This is also one of the orchids that I have been able to bloom without fertilizer.  But rule of thumb 20-20-20 urea free fertilizer weekly, weakly.
Light: A bright area.  An east window is ideal. The leaves should not be grassy green but almost a reddish green.  That's how much sun this guy gets.
Temperature: Warm.  Whatever temperature you feel comfortable in, they also feel comfortable.
Humidity: 60-70% (I don't know how accurate my $1.50 hydrometer is but that's what it says)
Flowering: Blooms once with each new fan.  Usually, once a year for me.

My first dendrobium orchid.  It decided to bloom during the winter, but I was so disappointed with the number of blooms I got.  Is this is the price for not fertilizing?  Anyways, It's been blooming for about two months and it's still going strong.  I'll see next year if I get lucky enough to get more blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment