Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pacific Orchid Expo 2013

What....
an....
amazing....
show....
 It was an orchid mecca. No, that doesn't even do the show justice. It was ORCHID HEAVEN.  I had an amazing experience from getting new orchids to even winning an orchid prize. Yes, you heard me. I WON FIRST PLACE IN THE SEVENTEEN AND UNDER CATEGORY!!!!! 
Dendrobium Amethystoglossum

The award is given to orchid growers who are seventeen and under.  This was my first and last year for this award, and I was so happy when they gave it to me.  It is called "The Imperiale Youth Prize" and it consists of a certificate, a handmade dracula pin and pendant, a handmade glass plate of a vanda of the POE 2013, and a large ribbon. 

I had so much trouble with this orchid.  The flowers of the Dendrobium Amethystoglossum only last about a week, so I had to time the blooming perfectly.  As a matter of fact, the orchid began to bloom just three days before I was supposed to enter it, and four days before it was supposed to be judged.  The ordeal of getting an orchid ready for a show is something that is both stressful and rewarding.  I am so thankful of my parents for driving me to and from San Francisco, a 45 min drive, for three days.   They even let me go to San Francisco on a school night to drop off an orchid.  I really need to give my parents the "Parents of the Year" award.

To add onto the experience:  I volunteered at the Plant Hotel during the show, and burned through my entire Chinese New Year money on 8 new orchids.  The orchids unfortunately are not in bloom, so I'm not going to bother paste pictures of them until they are in bloom. 

List of Orchids: 
1. Slc. Dream Weaver
2. Pot. Rubescence x Slc. Scarlet Jewel
3. Pot. Hisako Akatsuka x Slc Jungle Jewel
4. Dendrobium aggregatum 
5. Cymbidium Sinense
6. Cymbidium Hybrid 
7. Pleione Formosana
8. Cattleya Forbesii...........................................I was really into the small orchids because I didn't have enough space for any large/tall orchids that I couldn't grow outside. 

Enough talking, here's some pics from the show: 

Outside Entrance of the Show
San Francisco Orchid Society Display....there was also a car which we couldn't fit into the picture

Lycaste in one of the exhibits
One of the Exhibits
Masdevallia
Masdevallia

Pleione

Masdevallia

Cattleya
Orchids that were being Sold:

One of my favorite booths....so many beautiful cattleyas
Cattleya

Cattleya


Paph

Cymbidium Hybrid I bought

Cattleya

Cattleya

Miltoniopsis Hybrid

$40 Dendrobium Hybrid from a Taiwanese vendor....it's as small as the nail on my thumb

No comments:

Post a Comment